The Przemyśl underground
The history of the town house at Rynek 1dates back to the turn of the 15th and 16th century. Its walls contain parts of several buildings erected in various periods and rebuilt many times before being finally combined into one structure. Until the end of the 18th century, when the western frontage of the Main Square began to be dismantled, the building had not been located in the main square of the city, as only one of its corners adjoined it. After the dismantling works, which enlarged the area of the Main Square, the town house was included in the northern frontage and assigned number 1. For several centuries, it belonged to many townsmen, or even noble families. In the 19th century, it was used as barracks and a courthouse. Since 1865, it has been the seat of city authorities.
In recent years, the underground area has been restored to its original state, which involved great effort and significant funds. In 2014, the renovated, 100-meter long section of the 17th century sewerage running under Mostowa Street and the northern part of the Main Square with the exit at the building at Rynek 5 was made available to the public.
The Przemyśl underground will be open in the tourist season (from 1 April to 31 October) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. and from Thursdays to Sundays from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
Off tourist season (from 1 November to 31 December), the underground will be open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m..
Ticket prices are PLN 4.00 (regular) and PLN 2.00 (discount). Visitors are serviced by the Branch of the Dr M. Orłowicz Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society (PTTK) in Przemyśl.
Guided tours are available in Polish and English, starting every 30 minutes.
Enjoy your visit!