The railroad bridge, raised in 1891, is the oldest bridge on the San River. It was destroyed by the reatreating Austrians in March 1915 and reconstructed in 1916. The bridge played a very important role during the polish-ukrainian fights over control of the city in November 1918, and was very important to Poles who at that time defended Lviv. The bridge at that time was also used by a polish armored train. In July 1944, Germans tried to blow up the bridge, but their attempt was stopped by the soldiers of the Polish Home Army who disarmed most of the charges under the cover of night. The damaged bridge was repaired after WW II, by replacing one of the bridge’s spans.