KALWARIA PACŁAWSKA Founded in the 18th century on a hill over the valley of the River Wiar by Andrzej Maksymilian Fredro, gover¬nor of Podolia and castellan of Lviv, who brought here the Franciscan friars.
The sanctuary in Kalwaria since 1679 has housed the miraculous image of Mother of God from Kamianets Podilskyi. For three centuries tens of thousands of pilgrims have been coming here every year in mid-August for the church fairs famous in the whole region. Kalwaria Pacławska has earned itself the name of the Jasna Góra of the Podkarpackie province. The present Baroque church and adjacent monastery were founded by Szczepan Dwernicki between 1770 and 1775.
Next to the sanctuary stand distinctive arcaded houses from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. On the hill sloping towards the valley of the Wiar there are forty-two 19th-c. roadside shrines (some of them on the other side of the river) linked by paths where one can see groups of pilgrims.